Sunday, January 8, 2012

22 Dec 2011 Kaikoura whale watch

We went to Kaikoura today. Picked up a rugby ball at a road junction just outside the motel. We still see some muds on the road and clearing effort ongoing thanks to the flood. The sewers have been all washed to the beach and the sea and hence nobody is supposed to get to the beach and the sea till ok sign is given.
The railway line is parallel to the coastal road.



We saw seals at the beach.

At first, I really have no idea why people stopped their cars by the road side. It was hard to spot the seals when there were so many giant sea weeds floating on the sea, we thought anything that moved could be seaweed. But as I looked closer, i noticed something bobbed up and down. Could it be dolphins? Cant be that close to the shore. Since M refused to get down, I shouted back and said: I saw something moving!

M cooly replied with a tinge of sarcasm: yah, sure. It must be the dolphins!

I was like, fine. Lets forget about her and continue to see why there is something the moves amidst all the seaweeds. Silly me, i totally missed those seals that were right under the seawall!!

So many seals right under my nose my goodness!! By now, M and her daughter who have been hiding inside the car had come out and verify for themselves that those "moving" creatures were not seaweeds, but rather, seals. They have of course by now forgot all that sarcasm and silly laughters that they showered on me earlier. Great.

It was a huge seal colony. Some seals were even fighting with each other and made some noise for a piece of the beach. (they looked like fighting to me, but in nature fact, it might be friendly fires!)





When we reached Aspen Court, we are still in time for the whale watch at 3pm. We quickly get ready to go to the office at the railway station. This is when I realized the battery of the camera is almost flat. I quickly urged K to take out his charging station and charge the camera however much I could. I clearly remembered charging it yesterday but K told me the flickering green light that I saw yesterday could be the bad contact warning. I only managed to charge it for awhile before we set off.

We were offered group discount. After the safety briefing, We boarded the bus to the jetty.



The other group that had gone earlier were waiting for our bus to get back to town.



We boarded the boat and the guide is a Maori. After we detected the whale and the blow hole, we went full speed ahead to watch it from the rear.

Here is a video of the whale captured by K.







After that we sped to another location to watch dolphins. So many dolphins around the region. Some of them do backflip like drunken master.

I uploaded a video that earned a chuckle from everyone. A stupid bird that try to disturb the dolphins. Click here to watch.

I captured a video of a hero who did 10 flips. Click on this link to see the youtube video.







Lastly the boat went to a rock where the seals were. Since we have already watched the seals earlier, we were not very keen on this part.

Finally got back and I thought I heard wrongly when the owner of Aspen Court told me that the crayfish cost 100 dollars one. NZD 100 dollars. No thanks. No matter how famous it is.

We decided to get another fish and chip for today. Managed to get a bottle of thai chilli sauce and that added much flavor to the food.

Since the kitchen is also the bedroom, we could only do simple microwaveble cooking. K recommended us the mangoes he bot from the supermarket and I must say it is very sweet.

At night, we went for star gazing. Now that the moon disappeared, the stars are more visible. Freaking Cold tho.

You have probably reached the end of the page. But thats not the end of our adventure. Please click the older posts link below on right hand side or click HERE to continue reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment